I am running a 9-year career marathon as a business analyst for an energy company.
The finish line?
It’s in the horizon, patiently waiting to be crossed.
I’ve been telling myself “I want to resign!” for the past 9 years but never got around to doing it. Work kept me too busy to be self-aware; weekends were mostly spent at home recharging my introvert batteries.
Now that I am pushing 30, I’ve started to ask myself “Why am I even doing this?!”. And that’s exactly when the Meralco, PLDT, PhilAm, Smart, SkyCable bills lovingly smile back at me. It does not help that I am *absolutely* in love with Uniqlo and feel a burning need to bring home a piece of it every week. It does not help either that my reason for being is to collect stamps on my passport and etch them in my heart (*sigh*) for as long as my body will allow.
That said, I can’t quit my day job yet but it’s def high time to explore what life has to offer aside from the 16″ screen and Cisco phone in front of me. I’ve been glued to them for 10 hours on weekdays for the past 9 years.. and they still haven’t put a ring on my finger.
- my courage to “try new things alone” in Manila. That sounds sad — I DO have friends (swear!) but oftentimes they’re too busy adulting. Can’t rely on anyone but yourself, right? So this is really about motivating myself to step out of my condo door [aka my comfort zone] and ACTIVELY PARTICIPATE IN LIFE, even if it means doing (해요) it alone (혼자).
- my mile-a-minute thought process on whether I should:
- leave my career completely (but I’ve just gotten good at what I do!) to pursue “interests”, whatever that means
- take a career-break, which means I have to resign if I want to take a break for more than a month, and then reapply in my current company because it has everything I am looking for in a company
- take a month long break instead
- run the beloved rat race for 10 more years > save enough 돈to last me well into my golden years > travel the world!
- curl up into a ball and roll all the way home to my mother in the province because her love and delicious food are really all I need
- think of more options
Here goes nothing!